Co-founded world’s largest digital academic library as Chief Technical Officer. Reported to the board of directors.
Led a team of 30 software developers in development of the front-facing online service and an additional team of 30 software developers, database and system administrators in development and support of back-end workflow, automation, accounting and support systems.
- Provided the initial specification, design and prototype development of the Questia online library.
- Hired all technical staff and technical management; Managed four technical directors and multiple managers to oversee staff of 60.
- Developed weekly and monthly processes for setting priorities, reviewing progress and performance, and managing complex, large-scale projects.
- Oversaw multi-million-dollar IT budget.
- Responsible for installation and management of enterprise-grade network, telephone system and workstation infrastructure for company of 300 employees.
- Responsible for design, installation and management of best-in-class server and network infrastructure for delivery of rapidly growing online service.
- Executive Management
- Online Service Product Design and Implementation
- Technical Project Management
- Software Architecture
- Network and Systems Architecture
- Back Office Workflow Systems Design and Delivery
Company now delivers a premium online service that more than 500,000 students from 200 countries have used since its launch and receives more than 2 million unique monthly website visitors. The library contains more than 75,000 online books from more than 300 reputable commercial and academic presses, and more than 9 million citable journal, newspaper and magazine articles. It also provides organizational and paper-writing tools to help manage research and automatically generate footnotes and bibliographies. Company was acquired by Cengage Learning in February of 2010.